School governors are people who wish to make a positive contribution to children’s education. No special qualifications are required, but enthusiasm, commitment and an interest in education are important qualities to bring to a governor post.
What is the role of the governing body?
Governing bodies are responsible and accountable for all major decisions about the school and its future. Governors have a legal responsibility to conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. They set the school’s vision and strategic aims, monitor and evaluate performance acting as a critical friend to the Headteacher and ensure the school is accountable to those it serves.
Governing bodies are made up of key stakeholders:
• Parents – parent governors are elected by other parents at the school
• Staff – (including the Headteacher) – teaching and other staff are elected by the school staff
• Community – the governing body appoints community governors i.e. members of the community
• LEA – the Local Education Authority appoints one or more local education authority governors
• Associate Members – appointed by the governing body as members of committees. Associate Members are not governors and are not included in the school’s Instrument of Government.
If you would like to contact the Governing Body directly, please email email@example.com
The Governing Body at Peartree Way Nursery School comprises a fully committed team:-
|Governors Name||Category||Area of Responsibility||Term of Service|
|Mrs Bridy Speller||LEA||Chairperson||14.10.2015-13.09.2019|
|Mrs Helen Griffiths||Community/Co-Opted||Safeguarding||24.04.2015-23.04.2019|
|Mrs Helen Pickard||Community/Co-Opted||Premises/Health & Safety||24.04.2015-23.04.2019|
|Mrs Carolyn Linsell||Community/Co-Opted||tbc||04.10.2016-03.10.2020|
|Mrs Genevieve Sarfo-Adu||Parent||Equality & Diversity||09.10.2014-08.10.2018|
|Mrs Hayley Stock||Parent||tbc||01.03.2017-28.02.2021|
|Mrs Deborah Willcox||Staff||Headteacher||01.09.2015-ongoing|
|Miss Stacey Smith||AM||SEND||05.10.2015-04.10.2019|
|Mr Mike Kibby||Clerk|
Attendance at Meetings
From April 2017 our Governing Body meets 6 times a year. Attendance at our last 3 Governing Body meetings:-
23.05.2016 – 88%
03.10.2016 – 78%
27.03.2017 – 67%
All staff and Governors complete a pecuniary interest form annually and have an obligation to advise the school promptly of a change of circumstance. We presently have no declarations from staff or Governors of any business/commercial/financial/relationship interests which might give rise to a potential conflict of interest.